Re: [amibroker] Qcharts charging for features

I get all my primary real time Options pricing and analysis through my broker’s software client, www.thinkorswim.com.  I’ve never seen anything like it for streaming options data, and it’s a great trading platform.  Plus, it’s FREE for having an account with them.  It’s not OptionVue, and you can’t do scans and sorts and so forth, but if you want to see real time options chains with regional quotes from all exchanges, plot a risk graph for ANY kind of trade no matter how many legs, see the middle vs. natural prices on spreads or any other trade, graph your greeks, analyze the probability of an underlying touching or expiring at a certain point by a certain date, and much much much more, it simply can’t be beat.  Plus their commissions are really fair if you do very small lots, since they don’t charge a ticket charge and only charge $2.95/contract if it’s under 10.  Over 10 they charge 1.50.contract and a $10 ticket charge, which is pretty comparable to other brokers.  Not to mention they REALLY know options and will spend enormous amounts of time on the phone or live chat with you to help figure out a trade or answer other questions.

Didn’t mean for this to turn into an ad for thinkorswim, but what can I say... Their software is awesome and so is their service.  Oh, it is streaming ONLY though, so no storing a database locally for analysis in another program.  You can analyze up to 20 days of minute data and unlimited daily data though.

Other than that, I have options data through DTN.iq (www.dtniq.com) for use in other programs such as Amibroker, and it seems ok... Definitely does get occasional bad ticks though as it’s a totally raw unfiltered feed.  It’s pretty cheap if you buy a year’s worth up front and is supported by a number of analysis programs, AmiBroker being one of them.

Jonathan