[amibroker] Re: Ranking Stocks (AFL or via scripting)

 Fred,
 you wrote,
3.  Manipulate the file by eliminating all but the highest/lowest
> ranked stocks for each day (This can be done quickly in Excel if
you
> are working with say 4-5 years of 100 stocks but would be
impractical
> for more)

  If using an ami exploration and having the ranking values placed in
a column, excel can find  the top 5 (sort of)of the day, and placing
the top 5 ranked tickers 1,2,3,4,5, in to
sheet1, sheet2, sheet3, sheet4, sheet5.

there is a difference with the excel macro i use to the idea
mentioned in this thread.

  Why select the top 5 of everyday ( i assume this means the top 5
from the results of a  test)

 would it not be better to select the top 5 but only if they exist on
the same Buy day and e.g. if the number 1 ranking ticker had a buy
date of,
01/01/1990 and a sell date was  01/09/1990

 would it not be better for the next selection to be the first
highest rank when the date is greater than the  01/09/1990.

 so the sheet that contains the second highest ranks would do this as
well  e.t.c. across  all the 5 ranking sheets.

Then the profit of each sheet is calculated to get the profit result
of trading multiple tickers.
as each sheet does not contain overlapping sell dates to the previous
tickers sell date.

Peter.
--- In amibroker@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, "Fred" <fctonetti@xxxx> wrote:
> Chuck,
>
> I had been toying with this idea prior to ABTool being available
> which I haven't investigated yet and boiled the process down to:
>
> 1.  AFL - Rank all stocks for each bar and produce an Explore with
> Date, Symbol (Superfluous), StockNum, Score & Signal (Buy(1) & Short
> (2) but this could also contain values for Sell & Cover).
>
> 2.  Export the Exploration file for manipulation.
>
> 3.  Manipulate the file by eliminating all but the highest/lowest
> ranked stocks for each day (This can be done quickly in Excel if
you
> are working with say 4-5 years of 100 stocks but would be
impractical
> for more)
>
> 4.  Import the manipulated file as a new symbol which now contains
> Date, Score (In Close), StockNum (In Volume) and Signal (In Open
> Interest)
>
> 5.  This new symbol then can be used to drive trades for each bar
for
> each stock.
>
> This works but is at best tedious and of course allows no
> optimization except on a hunt and peck basis.
>
> How does ABTool improve this process and what other things have you
> done with this to insure that you are not more then 100% invested
and
> to analyze the equity curve short of exporting the trade list and
> importing to Excel again ?
>
> --- In amibroker@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, "Chuck Rademacher"
> <chuck_rademacher@x> wrote:
> > You just can't wait, can you?
> >
> > Other than using UM's ABTool, it is all in pure AFL code.   The
> next step is
> > some jscript and then a DLL.   The learning curve is so steep and
> time is so
> > short.  I guess I'm paying the price, at the moment, of using AFL
> code to
> > prove that the concept works without regard to how long it takes
> run.
> > While it is running, I'm working on improving throughput.
Through
> all of
> > this, I keep hoping that TJ is going to surprise us soon and/or
> David
> > (TradeSim) will implement the changes I have requested, making my
> work
> > redundant.
> >
> > But your idea of how it works is "spot on".

J-
> >   script to use the ranked external file to control which tickers
> get
> >   traded for a particular day.
> >
> >   Or have you found a way to do the sorting and record the
results
> via
> >   AFL. I can imagine an approach that might work in entirely in
AFL
> >   but it would involve the use of multiple artificial tickers and
> >   would thus take "all day" to run.
> >
> >   Am I any where close with either of these ideas?

> >   --- In amibroker@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, "Chuck Rademacher"
> >   <chuck_rademacher@x> wrote:
> >   > I'm quite happy to share the methodology and code "snippets".
> >   > Unfortunately, the actual AFL involved has too much of my
> >   proprietary
> >   > trading logic within it.   I'll have a look at replacing the
> >   underlying
> >   > system with something more generic.  Then, I would be able to
> post
> >   the
> >   > complete AFL.
> >   >
> >   > Once I've verified that it is working properly and it's not
> taking
> >   all day
> >   > to run, I'll prepare a document and post it in the files
section
> >   for this
> >   > group.
> >   >
> >   > It wouldn't have been possible without the ABTool plug-in and
> >   assistance so
> >   > graciously contributed by UM.   I'm hoping that a few other
> >   members of this
> >   > group see the potential in UM's plug-in and come up with some
> >   ideas of their
> >   > own.   No doubt, there will be a better way than what I'm
> >   currently doing.
> >   > I call it "leap frog" technology.   Someone comes up with an
> idea
> >   and
> >   > someone else comes up with an improvement on that idea, etc.
> until
> >   we all
> >   > benefit from a group effort.
> >   >