RE: [amibroker] Pairs Trading (for Ara)

I'm
not sure if you understand the logic behind pairs trading.   The first
step is to find two stocks/indices that are closely correlated.
Then, wait for them to be non-correlated before selling the best performer and
buying the worst performer.   You can't just decide to buy SPY and
short DIA.  I don't think those two are correlated enough to suit pairs
trading.
<FONT face=Arial color=#0000ff
size=2>
You
are correct when you say it reduces your take on a large market move with lower
risk.
<FONT face=Arial color=#0000ff
size=2>
I'll
let Yuki tell you about how long his trades last, but mine tend to be less than
30 days.  I got the impression from Yuki that it is not uncommon for him to
have a pair on for a year or more.
<BLOCKQUOTE

  <FONT face="Times New Roman"
  size=2>-----Original Message-----From: Ara Kaloustian
  [mailto:ara1@xxxxxxxxxx]Sent: Saturday, April 19, 2003 10:50
  PMTo: amibroker@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxSubject: Re: [amibroker]
  Pairs Trading (a definition for Dingo)
  Yuki,

  One more question....

  I tried playing DIA / SPY pair... which worked OK
  in just a short time frame (days / weeks), but the % return seems
  limited.

  Example: 100 shares DIA = $8,000 ......... 100
  shares SPY = $8,500 (approximately). Total capital tied up $16.5K (or $8.25K
  on margin)

  The % return is the differential price movment
  ... so relative to individual issue price movements it reduces your take (and
  risk) significantly, especially when you consider paying (at least tying up
  your money) for 2 items.

  In short, what kind of % return (of your tied up
  capital) are you getting to keep you happy <FONT face=Arial
  size=2> and roughly how long is a typical trade?

  Have a great day

  Ara

  <BLOCKQUOTE