Re: [amibroker] Dynamic Money Management

Sorry, I didn't know that was the same question. Al Venosa >From: "Tomasz Janeczko" >Reply-To: amibroker@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx >To: >Subject: Re: [amibroker] Dynamic Money Management >Date: Thu, 31 Oct 2002 08:18:51 +0100 > >Al, > >Excuse me but how many times will ask the same question? >I know how TR program works. And I already wrote that in the future >AB will support TR-style operation. That's all I have to say. > >Best regards, >Tomasz Janeczko >amibroker.com >----- Original Message ----- >From: "Al Venosa" >To: >Sent: Wednesday, October 30, 2002 9:28 PM >Subject: [amibroker] Dynamic Money Management > > > > Tomasz: > > > > Yesterday, I posted a message on Van Tharp's forum about your plans > > to incorporate innovative money management and pyramiding techniques > > in a future version of AB. Below is a response from a user of Trading > > Recipes, who claims that TR is the only software that handles MM > > corrrectly. Here is what he said: > > > > "It DOES position sizing. the RIGHT way. I own the program and it is > > GREAT. It took me about 5 minutes to get over the fact that it is > > still a DOS based app. But it's really the ONLY tool that does it the > > correct way. > > > > I talked to AmiBroker about 6 months ago, and they told me the same > > thing. Plus once they do release the program with position sizing, it > > still has to be proven that they have done it right. > > > > There are three other companies that I know have that have tried to > > do position sizing. Two of them got it wrong. www.rinasystems.com and > > www.bhld.com > > > > The third is the athena program that is mentioned in Van's book. I > > haven't ever had the privilege of playing with that program, but I > > believe I read somewhere that it used output files from trade > > station. So, it would also fall into the category of a program that > > isn't truely implementing position sizing at the portfolio level like > > Trading Recipes does." > > > > To explain what he meant by doing it 'the right way', here is what he > > said: > > > > "TRADING RECIPES' approach lets you combine trading signals and trade > > sizing strategies into simulations which exactly mimic the way you > > would trade in real time. A core feature, which sets it apart from > > all other "money management" (or backtesting) software, is its > > ability to perform dynamic money management (DMM) and risk control at > > the portfolio level. With DMM, position sizes are determined with > > full knowledge of what's going on at the portfolio level at the > > moment the sizing decision is made. Just like you do in reality. > > Other software packages simply sum individual pre-calculated equity > > curves. This way, position sizes are calculated with no knowledge of > > what the current portfolio conditions are at the crucial moment when > > a position sizing decision is to be made. This is not how you would > > make decisions in reality and therefore such simulations offer no > > useful information to the trader. DMM avoids this pitfall." > > > > TJ, will your approach be able to do DMM as described above? > > Personally, I have no desire to use any program based on DOS. I think > > the position sizing algorithm now included in AB does almost what > > this guy describes except for scaling in and out of trades and basing > > one's decisions on the value of the entire portfolio of multiple > > stocks rather than a portfolio of one stock. > > > > Al V. > > > > > > > > Post AmiQuote-related messages ONLY to: amiquote@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx > > (Web page: http://groups.yahoo.com/group/amiquote/messages/) > > > > Check group FAQ at: http://groups.yahoo.com/group/amibroker/files/groupfaq.html > > > > Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/ > > > > > > > > >------------------------ Yahoo! Groups Sponsor ---------------------~--> >Looking for a more powerful website? Try GeoCities for $8.95 per month. >Register your domain name (http://your-name.com). More storage! No ads! >http://geocities.yahoo.com/ps/info >http://us.click.yahoo.com/auyVXB/KJoEAA/jd3IAA/GHeqlB/TM >---------------------------------------------------------------------~-> > >Post AmiQuote-related messages ONLY to: amiquote@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx >(Web page: http://groups.yahoo.com/group/amiquote/messages/) > >Check group FAQ at: http://groups.yahoo.com/group/amibroker/files/groupfaq.html > >Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/ Choose an Internet access plan right for you -- try MSN! Click Here