Testing for Volatility

Hi ..

I am trying to experiment with various systems. One of the things I
was working with is optimizing the parameters of a Stochastics
crossover. I filter that further by using something like the MACD rate
of change.

This seems to work for the Nasdaq ($COMPQ). Works very well for a
stock like BLDP (very volatile). The same system exhibits a negative
return for a Dow stock and behaves poorly for a name like CSCO.
Although I would imagine that an individual stock like CSCO to be more
volatile than the index.

Obviously there something good about this system. It could be the
volatility or something else. It works well for too many stocks to
ignore.

Any thoughts ??
Sam
(Chasing after the elusive profitable system).