RE: [amibroker] Tomasz - RE: Relative Strength?

<SPAN
class=474452506-22102002>Mike,
normalize a reading you must calculate it against a known number. that known can
be the stocks own movement over a given period of time or a stocks movement
against a known universe (Dow, nas S&P etc). When MSN reports RS for 1,6,12
months it is against a known universe. In AB you could choose that universeor
compare performance against all the stocks in your database.

<SPAN
class=474452506-22102002>
first
calculate the ROC of the universe by building a composite or easier still
compare an index (DOW, NAS, S&P etc). Next calculate the ROC of your
individual stock. You can calculate the ratio to determine Relative strength or
just use the built in Relstrength function
where
"tickername" is your foreign composite or market
<SPAN
class=474452506-22102002>

RELSTRENGTH (AFL 1.3)

SYNTAX
relstrength( "tickername", fixup = 1)

RETURNS
ARRAY

FUNCTION
Calculates relative strength of currently selected
security compared to "tickername" security. When you give an empty string
as argument, a standard relative strength base security taken from
Stock->Categories will be used.The last parameter - fixup - with
the default value of 1 - causes filling the holes in the data with
previous values (behaviour introduced in 3.90.3), if fixup is 0 - the
holes are not fixed (the old, pre-3.90.3 behaviour)Note: you can still
use Foreign/RelStrength in the old way:Foreign( "ticker", "field"),
RelStrength( "ticker" ) - then the holes will be fixed.

EXAMPLE
relstrength( "^DJI"
)
Jayson

<FONT face=Tahoma
size=2>-----Original Message-----From: mroman59
[mailto:mroman59@xxxx]Sent: Monday, October 21, 2002 6:56
PMTo: amibroker@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxSubject: [amibroker] Tomasz
- RE: Relative Strength?Thanks for the earlier info on
Relative Strength, however, I am still confused because of RS reported
between 0 and 100 and I think that AB should be able to do this.  For
example, If you go to www.moneycentral.com/home.asp and look to the right
you will see a "Get Quote" box. Enter in any ticker symbol and then select
go or enter.  When the information about the stock is presented, then
look to the left column. Under the heading "Research" choose "Company
Report".  The information provided under "Stock Price History"
reports Relative Strength for 1, 6, & 12 months in values between 0
and 100. This ranking makes it easy for the investor to compare the
price movement (I believe) of the stock to all other stocks, no matter
what sector or exchange they are in.  Could you tell me if this
value is still what you are refering to as ROC and if so shouldn't AB be
able to be program to filter out stocks meating a ranking such as >
90?This value at MSN is what I am trying to duplicate and also whatI
think others who have posted on yahoo website are actually interested in
when the refer to Relative Strength.Thank YouMikePost