RE: [amibroker] Re: 2 cent worth on MoneyManagement

Thank you William,

Can you help me link this to a typical AB BackTest report (attached)?

avg win$  = Average winning trade: 15.71
avg loss$ = Average losing trade: -17.04
%Win      = Percent profitable: 61.8

Plugging these numbers in your formula I get:

Expectation = ( 1 + 15.71 / 17.04 ) * .618 - 1 = 0.172

I assume the minus sign for Average losing trade is dropped? This was a backtest on the N100 so I am not quite sure how to interpret this if we apply the formula to groups... ideas? Taking the top ten stocks from this test i get

Expectation = ( 1 + 35.19 / 42.94 ) * .706 - 1 = 0.284 still not very good...

It looks like my decision to work first on trading systems before tackling MM was correct: i am a long way off from 0.7 !

Still, I am not quite sure what to think of this... the first test gave me 161%/ann average for 100 stocks, the second test gave me 660%/ann average for 10 stocks (of course assuming I could screen the best stocks) over about 5000 trades. To get 0.7 I'll have to be making thousands of percent per year... where did i go wrong? I guess the problem is that the losers are too big, adding stops might improve the Expectation rating but would reduce profits... hmmm sounds familiar :-)

So, we need to Optimize for Expectation... now, wouldn't that be fun?! I might just work on that this weekend :-) AmiBroker can do anything, right? I love a good afl challenge.

Intuition tells me the formula ought to have a factor for frequency/distribution of trading/profits and the testing period under consideration. This formula would give good results if I had only two very profitable trades and two small losers - not right... WinTradeDuration/LosingTradeDuration probably ought to be in there too... How can we factor those in?

Many thanks triggering those sleepy neurons,
Herman

PS. Sorry for not letting this thread end...

-----Original Message-----From: William Wong [mailto:williamwongab@xxxx]Sent: 18 October, 2002 3:31 AMTo: amibroker@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxSubject: RE: [amibroker] Re: 2 cent worth on MoneyManagement
My 2 cents worth on money management.
A system performance is governed by a combination of %winning trades and pay off ratio (avg win$ / avg loss$).  If an expectation of a system is negative, no matter how good the money management, it only slows down an eventual death.
Expectation = (1 + pay off ratio) * %win - 1
e.g.  If a system gives pay off ratio of 2:1 but only profitable 30% of the time,
Exp = (1 + 2) * 0.3 - 1 = -0.1, not worth using
But if the accuracy is improved to 40%,
Exp = (1 + 2) * 0.4 - 1 = 0.2, worth using
The higher the expectation, the better the system.  Rule of thumb is to improve to at least 0.7.
Now when a system has a positive expectation, then money management comes into play.  MM is about reducing the Risk of Ruin, the chance of lossing x% of your portfolio before you decide to quit.  It about staying in the game.  It is the different between punting and making a living on trading.  A mediocre system (positive expectation) with a sound money mgmt is good enough to trade for a living.

Do you Yahoo!?Faith Hill - Exclusive Performances, Videos, & morefaith.yahoo.com Post AmiQuote-related messages ONLY to: amiquote@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx (Web page: http://groups.yahoo.com/group/amiquote/messages/)Check group FAQ at: http://groups.yahoo.com/group/amibroker/files/groupfaq.html Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to the Yahoo! Terms of Service. Post AmiQuote-related messages ONLY to: amiquote@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx (Web page: http://groups.yahoo.com/group/amiquote/messages/)Check group FAQ at: http://groups.yahoo.com/group/amibroker/files/groupfaq.html Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to the Yahoo! Terms of Service.

Overall performance summary

Total net profit:
16397.46

Total commissions paid: