RE: [amibroker] Re: Once again: MoneyManagement

OK
Bill, you make a good point: I gather from the posts that Money Management
does NOT improve profits, instead it decreases profits by protecting you
from system failure. I misunderstood that MM might improve my system
performance.
<SPAN
class=760353915-18102002>
It
would appear that the worse your system is the more you need MM - wouldn't
it make sense to spend more time on system improvements instead of protective
measures against system failures? A good trading system should by definition
require minimum money management to protect you. Obviously the popularity of MM
is due to the fact that there are many traders who use flawed systems and
who require lots of protection. Some smart people are giving it as much
hype as they can and even turned it into a business. If you drive a car that
needs fixing would you fix the car or buy better insurance?
<SPAN
class=760353915-18102002>
think I'll let this topic be, also I'll forgo the study of MM for awhile,
at least until I have exhausted all possibilities of improving my trading
systems and that may prove to be awhile. Looks like MM is just another
distraction from the real task at hand.
<SPAN
class=760353915-18102002>
Thanks
for all the comments and URLs. It was great fun :-))))
<SPAN
class=760353915-18102002>
best
regards,
<SPAN
class=760353915-18102002>Herman.<FONT color=#0000ff face=Arial
size=2>
<BLOCKQUOTE

<FONT face=Tahoma
size=2>: wavemechanic [mailto:wd78@xxxx]Sent:17
October, 2002 11:06 PMTo:
amibroker@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxSubject: Re: [amibroker] Re: Once again:
MoneyManagement
Herman:

FWIW, I think you are asking the wrong
question.  It is highly unlikely that anyone improves their model
testing returns with risk control, and it is highly unlikely that someonewho
does not use risk control can convincingly demonstrate improved (relativeto
what and by what measure?) "RT" trading performance over a reasonable
time.  By definition, risk control will constrain the system in someway
in return for what the trader considers to be benefits (e.g., lower drawdown,
smaller losses, larger gains, diversification, etc.).  However, it is
likely that those who incorporate all aspects of risk control (i.e.,not
just stops) are not the ones that are blown out of the water financially
and/or in terms of physical/mental health, and that is what risk control is
all about.  Consequently, the question really is
can you demonstrate to your satisfaction that failure to use risk
control did not contribute to failed traders.  It seems quite logical to
me and I have not seen any claims to the contrary.

Bill

<BLOCKQUOTE