Having trouble with concept of Exploration

The light hasn't come on for me yet in the Explore/Scan buttons in
the Analysis window.

This is what I'd like to do:

I'm trying to find a workable subset of all of the symbols available
that would be a "best fit" for a formula that I've written in AFL.

I'd like to run this formula against the entire list of symbols for a
specific date range. Out of this I'd like to get a list of symbols
that have a projected annual profitability > 15%. From this subset
I'd like to create a watch list with which I can work on a more
detailed basis.

I've been experimenting with the explorer using a simple formula but
the grid lists every trade for each symbol and is very difficult to
evaluate. Plus I can't figure out how to have a column that has the
running equity balance in it.

Where did I miss the boat?

Thanks in advance for some pointers to get me back in the boat!

Some very simple code would be a big help. For instance: for those
symbols that have an average volume > 200,000 and closing price >
20.00 and when the Macd() is applied (long and short) that then
annual profit percent > 15% it should be added to the list.