Re: Win XP & Win 98 Networking

I have been partial successful in networking
Windows XP with ME (and also with 95). No use
discribing what did not work. Here is what did.

1. Disabled ALL network protocols except TCP/IP. In
my case it was getting ride of IPX/SPX/NetBios on
all the computers.

2. Added a network hub with integrated IP router
and give the job of assigning IP addresses to
the router. Make sure none of the computers is
trying to make IP assignments

One problem remains: transfering large
files (500 MB and up) or a batch of 20 or more
files at once still can make the network lock
up (the hub still shows all is fine, and the
computers continue to all run programs, but the
computers report the network is "busy"). The
only way to get the network back on line is to
reboot ALL the computers. Not nice.

Any tips about solving the large file transfer
problem?
Also my children would love to see the
IPX/SPX/NetBios protocols reinstalled since IPX
is require for some games.

--- In amibroker@xxxx, "Mohan Yellayi" <myellayi@xxxx> wrote:
> Hello Windows Experts,
>
> Has anyone been able to network XP with 98 ? The netsetup disk Win
XP gives doesn't seem to help on the 98 computers. Any help is
appreciated.