Re: Message board - Let's give it a try

--- In amibroker@xxxx, "Tomasz Janeczko" <amibroker@xxxx> wrote:
> Dear John,
>
> I installed VBulletin Lite version which is free. User profiles
> and more advanced stuff is available in paid version ($89 a year)
> of VBulletin software.
>
> I decided to install a free version just to have some feedback
> and to see how web-based board will work for you and me.
>
> Yesterday Manioc has generously offered his unused license for the
paid
> version to be used for the evaluation on AmiBroker site.
>
> I have tested the full version on my local machine and
> while it is superior to the "lite" product it also consumes much
more
> server resources (RAM, MySQL server space, processing time),
> can generate *LOTS* of web & e-mail traffic if mail notifications
are used,
> and generally speaking is much heavier.
>
> I use rented server space and I have to pay for excessive resource
use.
> A "lite" version is much more polite to the server resources.
>
> Unfortunatelly even paid version does NOT have a feature that
> I find to be very useful for me: the ability to download all the
new messages
> to my computer, disconnect, write the responses offline and then
> send them all in one bulk as I do with ordinary e-mails or
newsgroup (NNTP) messages.
> Why I would need such functionality?
> Simply bacause I travel often, and connect to the internet using
various
> methods (DSL, standard dial-up, or even GSM mobile phone 9.6K
connection) and it is important
> to me to minimize the bandwidth and connection time.
>
> So, because I miss some important functionality and I would like
to "lighten" server usage a bit
> I would need to tweak the code by myself.
> Then - if I need to tweak the code is it better to tweak the
free "lite" version or
> full one? At this point I don't have an answer.
>
> Best regards,
> Tomasz Janeczko
> ===============
> AmiBroker - the comprehensive share manager.
> http://www.amibroker.com

Hi Tomasz,
As for resources usage, I don't know what is your host, but if ever
you are thinking of moving, I recommend futurequest:
http://www.futurequest.com which is probably one of the best host on
the planet (and I weight my words), very proffessional and honnest,
answers promptly to support questons, lots of power, and wich handle
with no problem 200 000 posts vbulletin. (They even use one for their
own support forum which you can see on their site).

Sure, if you need be able to work offline, then there is now way
vbulletin can help you.
I'm convinced the software would be a plus and differenciate even
more than metastock and such, but there are things it can't do.

Now, I think everybody knows what I think, but after all, our goal is
Amibroker so message board system is a bit secondary.
Its up to you guys !!

Manioc