Re: [amibroker] ADX/DM Indicators

Hello,

> I have a general question on the ADX/DM indicator in the Win 32
> version. If I don't understand the program and the indicators
> properly please bear with me.
> 1. The manual states that +DI is red, but graphs for the indicator
> show a green line (as determined from the values on the graph).
> 2. Reverse for -DI.

I am sorry for these mistakes, they will be fixed: +DI is green by default,
-DI is red.

> 3. Use of terms DI and DM are confusing to me as the manual uses DI ,
> but the graphs show DM - I presume they are one and the same.
Yes, they are the same

> 4. Under Preferences/Other Indicators changing DMI/ADX range period
> doesn't change the graph. Should it?
Yes it should, but this seems to be a bug in AmiBroker.
If you want a different period for ADX/DMI you can enter the following
formula in Custom Indicator builder:

custom_adx_period = 16;
maxgraph = 3;
graph2 = pdi(custom_adx_period );
graph1 = mdi(custom_adx_period );
graph0 = adx(custom_adx_period );
graph2style=1;
graph0style=5;
graph1color=5;
graph2color=6;
graph0color=7;
title=name() + " - +DM" + writeval( graph2 )+ ", -DM" + writeval( graph1 )+ ", ADX" + writeval( graph0 );

> 5. Under Preferences/Colours changing the 2nd oscillator (DI) colour
> doesn't change the graph colours - is this an incorrect
> interpretation of the preferences?
It seems to be a problem with AmiBroker.

> 6. Where is the AFL program for the indicator stored - would be
> helpful for understanding the indicator graph - provided I can
> understand the programming aspects - being a non-programmer.
> Could someone please point me in the right direction if I have
> misinterpreted this part of AmiBroker.
One thing that is important to understand is that
not every chart/indicator built-in is written using AFL.
Most built-in indicators are written in C compiled to native machine
code for speed. AFL is great but a little bit slower than native code,
so for performance reasons the basic indicators are implemented
in machine code.

Thank you very much for pointing out the bugs in AmiBroker.
They will be fixed in the next release.

Best regards,
Tomasz Janeczko
http://www.amibroker.com