Re: [amibroker] Data Files

Hello Steve,

> My normal EOD data files are named yyyymmdd.txt (e.g. 20001201.txt).
> These files contain ticker, date, high, low, close, volume. They do
> not include the long name of the stock.
In fact this data could be imported into AmiBroker using its ASCII importer.
No programming skills are required.

The only thing that is needed is appropriate format definition file which should
contain the following commands:
$FORMAT Ticker,Date_YMD,High,Low,Close,Volume
$SKIPLINES 0
$SEPARATOR ,
$DEBUG 1
$AUTOADD 1
$CONT 1

If you data include open price (ticker, date, open, high, low, close, volume)
you can just open ASCII importer and choose "Omega" format from "Files of type" combo.

As for importing multiple files at once:
it is possible to select MULTIPLE files in File dialog by holding CTRL or SHIFT key during
selecting items. All files would be imported than in single pass.

> I do have a text file that contains these long names. This file
> contains ticker and long name (e.g. Cable and Wireless).
>
> Q1. Is it possible to only import the text file containing the long
> names and therefore within AmiBroker a long name will be displayed.
Yes, it is possible but this requires a script (described in 4th issue of AmiBroker tips
newsletter) http://www.amibroker.com/newsletter/04-2000.html

> Q2. Regarding the EOD data, importing the history of prices, is it
> possible to automatically import each EOD text file from a specified
> date. (Say for this year only there are about 330 separate files
> already).
As desribed above - use multiple selection

Thank you for trying AmiBroker.

Best regards,
Tomasz Janeczko
http://www.amibroker.com