Re: [amibroker] Data Files

Hi, Steven:

Since you are asking general questions, I will reply generally.

It would help if everyone specified for which version of AmiBroker they are
asking questions. I presume now that most users are using the PC version, but
some of us don't. Sometimes I can be more specific with the Amiga usage.

On 02-Dec-00, Steven Taylor wrote:

> I'm considering purchasing AmiBroker.

That is a good move. ;^)

> Q1. Is it possible to only import the text file containing the long
> names and therefore within AmiBroker a long name will be displayed.

Sure. You only need to have a way of relating the ticker with the company
name. You have that in one of the files. You then need to use a program to
read the file(s) and parse (break down) the text into ticker and co. name
variables. I presume that the name files are organised well - ticker and name
on one line -, to make this easy.

As you discovered, not all data is usually in one file; some, such as EOD
data, don't come with company names. More than one program may be needed, to
support all of your various data sources. Sometimes it's best to make more
than one program; sometimes you can merge two importers into one. It's up to
you to decide which is best.

> Q2. Regarding the EOD data, importing the history of prices, is it
> possible to automatically import each EOD text file from a specified
> date. (Say for this year only there are about 330 separate files
> already).
> As you can imagine I'm trying to avoid individually importing each
> text file.

That is what looping does for you. Set up a procedure to read, parse, then
import, data from each file, until there are no more files to read. (BTW, I
find parsing to be a lot of programming fun. Someone who likes puzzles may
find it enjoyable, too.) Maybe Tomasz can explain if the PC version's ASCII
importer can be used to import a group of files; otherwise, another
programming language will be needed, as shown below.

In very simple pseudo-code (expand as needed):

DO FOREVER

READ a filename from list
PARSE file
IMPORT data
IF no more files THEN BREAK

END (forever)

SAVE database

Have a coffee break or mow the lawn; when you return it will be all done. ;^)

--

The World of AmiBroker Support