Re: Advances/declines

Hi,

In this text I will refer to the pictures shown in the following
document:
http://amibroker.republika.pl/new/whatsnew.html
(you can use also "what's new" section of help file)

In order to make Advances/Declines work you have to:
1. Select base index for given market in "Categories" window
- "Markets" tab and "Base indexes for" "Composites" combo.
For example if you are following NYSE this can by ^DIJ
(Dow Jones Avg)
2. Open Calculate composites window and mark "Number of
advancing/declining issues" and "Apply to: all quotes" "all markets".
Then click "Calculate" . From now on ADLine indicator should be
visible.

Q: Why does AB need "base index"?
A: Just because it may happen that not all stocks are quoted every
businness day and AB needs must calculate number of
advancing/declining issues per market. So it checks the "base index"
quotations dates and tries to find corresponding quotes of all stocks
belonging to that market to find out how many issues advanced,
declined and not changed at all.

"Volume for base index" and "Copy volume to all indexes" are provided
in case you DON'T have real volume data for index quotes.
In that case AmiBroker can calculate volume for index as a sum of
volumes of all stocks belonging to given market.
First option assigns calculated volume only to "base index", the
second copies the volume figure to all indexes belonging to given
market.

Best regards,
Tomasz Janeczko

--- In amibroker@xxxxxxxxxxx, "Steve and Bee Grobler" <bgrobler@xxxx>
wrote:
> Hi all,
> Could anyone shed some light on how to get the A-D line to work?
>
> I have several hundred stocks in my watchlist and I want to know
how many closed higher/lower etc.

> I've tried using the Stock-Calculate composites menu, but nothing
seems to happen. There is nothing displayed in my A-D line either.

> I also don't understand what the "Volume for base index" and "Copy
volume to all indexes" check boxes are going to do.