[amibroker] RE:AmiBroker 3.16

Hello,

> The obvious missing part to it is that the values in the grab bar of each
> chart do not change when another date is selected, similar to how it does in
> the main price chart. This would allow us to at least see the secondary
> chart's value for the selected day, without guessing.
>
> Can this feature be added to it, please?

The reason why indicator values aren't shown as the selection changes
is that only *price/volume* data are available without computation.

Indicator values are computed when graph is drawn (one graph at a time)
and they are then discarded in order to save memory - otherwise tables for all shown indicator
values would have to be stored in RAM.
This will increase RAM consumption by at least 150 KB.

You may be laughing at this point: "Who cares about 150KB nowadays!?"
But AmiBroker (for Amiga) is designed to run with 1MB of RAM - in that case
150 KB is 15% of available memory.

I agree that almost no-one have 1MB only but this design originates from 1995 when
AmiBroker 1.0 was released.

Someday maybe I will decide to change it :-)

You may also ask: why indicator values should be stored in RAM in order to display them?
Couldn't you just calculate them as you do when drawing chart?

The answer is: it takes too much time - to select next/previous quotation you will need almost
the same time the chart drawing takes.

Best regards,
Tomasz Janeczko

PS. Since I still got the mails "Will you develop Amiga version further?"
I must say again: Amiga version will be developed further. As I wrote before now I have common code base for
Amiga and PC version so if I implement something in PC version it (almost) automatically appears in Amiga version.
Amiga version is and will be the *main* one. PC version is still experimental. When I finally get the PC version
to have the same features as Amiga version - they will be further developed in parallel.

Visit AmiBroker WWW Site at:
http://www.polbox.com/a/amibrok/