[amibroker] Re: Win32 ARexx replacement?

On 17-Jul-99, Tomasz Janeczko wrote:

> > What will you be using in the AmiBroker Win32 version for the ARexx
> > replacement?

> There are several options:
> a) there is a Regina Rexx implementation for Windows, but this
> implementation solves comunication differently (no Amiga-like Rexx ports).
> Moreover almost no-one is using it.

Numbers do count. Some-one on the ARexx ML wanted to know more about
the ARexx implementation, to see if similar ports could be made to Regina. He
just asked today.

> b) Win98 introduced something which is called Windows Scripting Host -
> a Visual Basic-like scripting language. Since this is M$ invention it seems
> to have the biggest support.

OK, but...

> c) REBOL/Command. As you probably know REBOL is platform independent
> scripting language. However REBOL/core does not have an ability to talk
> with other applications.
> On the other hand REBOL/Command promises to bring process launching and
> communication.

... from *my* point of view, REBOL wins hand down! Because we must get our
data from the Internet (anyone here NOT doing this?), REBOL has overwhelming
advantages. 3rd-party REBOL ports are not too far off - it would be worth
waiting.

- REBOL is more powerful, now, than Rexx
- it is Internet savy - easy, direct importation of data off the net!
- compilers are possible - probable (an insider has already done some work on
one)
- you only have to do one language for all AmiBrokers - portability
- probably more things...

> I haven't decided yet which one will be used. It is too soon.
> First version will have no Rexx support.

Fair enough

> Based on the feedback and support
> (number of registrations) I will decide on this.

Does anyone else have comments?

Thanks, Tomasz.

--

The World of AmiBroker Support