[amibroker] Re: AREXX script for importing End-of-Day ASCII data?

  • To: amibroker@xxxxxxxxxxx
  • Subject: [amibroker] Re: AREXX script for importing End-of-Day ASCII data?
  • From: Angus Mann <amann@xxxx>
  • Date: 4 Oct 1998 13:34:03 -0000

On 03-Oct-98 17:39:03, Terry Chadban <terryc@xxxx> wrote:

>Hi everyone,
>I was wondering whether anyone has written a generic AREXX script for
>ASCII import of end-of-day data. I am not an AREXX programmer, but it
>seems to me that it should not be too hard to write a script to import
>data of a format like:

>CODE,DATE,OPEN,HIGH,LOW,CLOSE,VOLUME

>or something similar - this seems to be the most popular format that I
>have come across, but other countries may use a slightly different one.

It's also the most popular format I've come across. Unfortunately I'm no
ARexx programmer either, so haven't been able to import data into AmiBroker,
and thus haven't really been able to use the program. (There's no way I'm
going to hand-come everything in)

>AmiBroker already has most of the AREXX commands available, but the only
>format that I have been able to import so far has been

>$Name CODE
>$FORMAT DATE OPEN HIGH LOW CLOSE VOLUME

>with the stock code on a separate line. This is fine for historical data,
>but not so good for end-of-day data. Has anyone come up with a script for
>end-of-day data, and is willing to share it with the rest of us
>non-AREXXers?

Not really good for historical data of alot of stocks, depending on your
source :(

>This will probably be taken care of in future versions of AmiBroker, but
>in
>the meantime, we need to update our databases each day.

The best way to go would be an option in Amibroker that lets you define the
format of the data files (i.e the order of each field, including where the
ticker code is located), although a script that does it would probably be a
decent work-around for the short-term.

--
Angus Mann \/ amann@xxxx
Sydney, Australia /\ UIN 17393253