Re: [amibroker] More suggestions for version 3

  • To: amibroker@xxxx
  • Subject: Re: [amibroker] More suggestions for version 3
  • From: Terry Chadban <terryc@xxxx>
  • Date: 23 Aug 1998 03:13:08 -0000

Hello Donald and everyone,

On 23-Aug-98, you wrote
about Re: [amibroker] More suggestions for version 3:

>> 2] The toolbar is the only window which does not have a resize
>> gadget on
>> it, and on my screen (800x600 on a 15" monitor) there is about a
>> centimeter or so of wasted space between the toolbar and the price
>> chart.
>
> Play around with moving and resizing window frames, then "Snapshot
> Windows". I have no wasted space.

Yes, I can remove the 'wasted space' by making the Select window narrower,
and letting AB resize the charts which solves the problem, but I would
actually prefer the Select window a bit wider and the charts a little bit
narrower (they are plenty big enough as it is on an 800x600 screen). I
take your point about some people having smaller screen sizes, though, and
AB having to cater for all sizes. Still, being able to resize the toolbar
would be a help to everyone, I would imagine.

> You can also play around with layering windows on top of one
> another, and my importers won't mess them up with an "arrange".
> The side-effect is that, with long histories, the more windows open,
> the longer it takes to update graphs.

I haven't tried layering the windows yet (it sounds too much like a Win95
'solution' to me!!) and I prefer to keep things simple and clean. The
Price chart, two or three other charts, with the toolbar and Select
windows, all fit nicely on my screen at the moment, and are easy to read.

>> 3] extend that vertical line down through any other charts which
>> are open on the workspace at the time, so that we can get a better
>> direct
>> comparison with all the data on all the charts at the same time?
>
> You too, huh? In the world of fishbowl monitor screens, rulers *are*
> needed. There is a current display of chart values which only
> indicate the figure for the latest set of data. Maybe this could
> change for a different selection in the main window, too?

As far as I recall, if you click on a particular date, it not only places
vertical line on the Price chart at that day, but displays the prices for
that day on the title bar - I could be wrong though. I still need to
extend that vertical line down through the other charts so that I can see
whether the RSI chart started to trend upwards on the 15th, or the 16th of
the month, for instance, and at the moment the only way to do it is to
click on the 15th, place a ruler on the monitor and extend the line down
to the RSI chart myself and see if that hits the point where the RSI
started to turn. A way of having the computer do this for me would be
great.

>> 4] I have been told that our (Australian) main index, the
>> All Ordinaries Index, normally
>> turns on multiples of 90 calendar days
>
> You are refering to "cycle analysis", Terry.
> Tomasz: will the new engine handle cycles?

Yep, that is what I meant, a way of optionally displaying cycles, and a
way of inputting the actual cycle days. I am sure that Tomasz mentioned
possibly including Gann and Fibonacci in future versions, and both these
methods are based on cycles of days and prices.

>> The more that I look at the features (??) of MetaStock for
>> Windows, the more I appreciate just how good AmiBroker is,
>
> I, for one, would be interested in hearing a comparison.

Okay, I will try to put something together, but at the moment it will
have to be based on MetaStock's info rather than practical experience,
because MetaStock needs Win95 or better and at the moment I only have a
laptop running Win3.1, but I am thinking of upgrading to a Win95 laptop
in the near future so I may be able to give some practical information
as well then.

A couple more wishes have just ocurred to me (association of ideas - I
know that Donald is interested in candlesticks). Would it be possible to
make the candlestick graphics a little bit wider, it is hard for my less
than perfect eyesight to pick the hollow candles from the filled ones
sometimes even on my screen, so it must be pretty hard on a smaller
screen. And finally, would it be possible to have an option to display
just a particular time period, such as just the period July to December
1997, or the period July to December 1987 so that you could compare
periods from different years directly. I understand that it is currently
possible to change the default display period by clicking on the screen
somewhere (I haven't got enough data yet to try this out), but it would be
much simpler to have an option with an input box to select the exact
periods to display.

For the record, I have read that the period from November 1 to April 30 is
traditionally much more profitable in the US than the period from May 1 to
October 30, and the YEARS of the US Presidential election, and the
pre-election years, are much more profitable than the post-Presidential
years. It would be worthwhile checking whether this is in fact true, both
for the US, and also for non-US countries considering the influence that
the US stock market has on the other stock markets around the world.

Bye for now,
Terry
--
I think that God in creating man somewhat overestimated his ability.
-- Oscar Wilde

___
////
terryc@xxxx Australian Amigas do it #umop apisdn#
#Amiga# 2000/030/50,1+40+Retina 4mb \\\\///
Miami,V-NG,YAM2,MD-2,AmFTP,AmIRC \\\\/