Re: [amibroker] More suggestions for version 3

  • To: amibroker@xxxx
  • Subject: Re: [amibroker] More suggestions for version 3
  • From: Donald Dalley <ddalley@xxxx>
  • Date: 22 Aug 1998 15:42:11 -0000

Hello, Terry:

On 22-Aug-98, you wrote:

[snipped]

> 1] put the company name on the
> chart title bar(s) instead of in the stock selector window.

There seems to be an "available space" issue for some screen
resolutions, but the descriptive name would be nice somewhere.

> 2] The toolbar is the only window which does not have a resize
> gadget on
> it, and on my screen (800x600 on a 15" monitor) there is about a
> centimeter or so of wasted space between the toolbar and the price
> chart.

Play around with moving and resizing window frames, then "Snapshot
Windows". I have no wasted space.

You can also play around with layering windows on top of one
another, and my importers won't mess them up with an "arrange".
The side-effect is that, with long histories, the more windows open,
the longer it takes to update graphs.

> It would be nice to be able to widen the toolbar to eliminate the
> wasted space, or even better, have another row of tools fitted
> into the space!!

I have suggested taking out the graph icons to make it narrower (I
never use them anyway) and using a fly-out tool bar similar to
PageStream 3.2's. This would have the side-effect of needing to
use a narrower Select window, or something similar.

> 3] extend that vertical line down through any other charts which
> are open on the workspace at the time, so that we can get a better
> direct
> comparison with all the data on all the charts at the same time?

You too, huh? In the world of fishbowl monitor screens, rulers *are*
needed. There is a current display of chart values which only
indicate the figure for the latest set of data. Maybe this could
change for a different selection in the main window, too?

> 4] I have been told that our (Australian) main index, the
> All Ordinaries Index, normally
> turns on multiples of 90 calendar days

You are refering to "cycle analysis", Terry.
Tomasz: will the new engine handle cycles?

> 5] More speed!!!

Times sound right, Terry. Tomasz & I have discussed this and part of
the problem is the slow AmigaDOS. He has done about as much
as possible to keep this this fast, although the following needs
to change, too.

> I have noticed that it does not make much difference to the saving
> times whether I update a full weeks' data on all tickers, or just
> update one days' data on one ticker, so I guess that AmiBroker
> is simply resaving ALL the data, regardless of which ones were
> updated.

I believe it will resave all data even if you delete a ticker, too.

> suggestions (or wishes) to try to help make a
> great program even better!

Be careful what you ask for, because you just might get it!

> The more that I look at the features (??) of MetaStock for
> Windows, the more I appreciate just how good AmiBroker is,

I, for one, would be interested in hearing a comparison.

The World of AmiBroker Support
http://webhome.idirect.com/~ddalley
ddalley@xxxx