Re: Does this Make Sense : A linear equity curve implies that in &out of sample testing will hold up very well...

mark.keenan@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:

> If for example I optimise a set of parameters over 2000 days of trading and
> get a near a near linear equity curve -  then the same parameters that work
> over the first 1000 days should work equally well over the next 1000 days
> as well.
>
> Therefore is it true to say that  most important thing to look for in
> optimizing in sample  data would be a linear equity curve rather than net
> profit or profit factors and then apply these  optimized parameters to the
> out of sample data.

Sure, IMHO a smooth equity curve is a very important issue in a system.
You can take care of profits by increasing/decreasing leverage.

But, my experience is that it's quite easy to curve-fit system to show
an excellent, smooth equity curve, over 3-4 years, which will not hold
up in out-of-sample testing.

Btw, if it's an SP system you're talking about, I don't see how you can
achieve a "near linear equity curve" unless you make it adaptive to the
dollar-expressed volatility.

> In addition - do you think a system should be optimized with money
> management orders in place, or should they be added after the most optimum
> inputs are identified???

This is a problem of terminology: with "money management" do you mean
"bet-sizing" or exits (stop-loss, proft-taking etc) ? The latter are
part of the system. I consider betsizing a different thing, so I treat
it independantly.

Regards, M