email client software (was Re: Off subject)

NS wrote:

> I said in my last message that I lost all my email history when I
> switched to The Bat.
> Since then I have had a couple of emails pointing out to me, that The
> Bat has a built in mail import wizard especially for Outlook files, a
> feature I hadn't noticed.
> So I didn't lose my history I just haven't imported it.
> Thanks to Carl and Larry for pointing that out.

I haven't had much luck with this kind of translators / "import wizards"
in the past, but maybe things have changed meanwhile.

If you subscribe to a lot of mailing lists (I do to about a hundred
lists and my mail folder is a few Gigs and has more than half a million
mails), I'd strongly suggest to use some mail software which supports
the Unix mailbox format, like NetscapeMail (part of NetscapeCommunicator
4.7x). One drawback of NetscapeMail is that it doesn't support multiple
accounts.

Other software also claims to read the standard mbox format, but I've
always had to massage the resulting file using Unix textfile
manipulation tools (like sed/awk) to successfully do it.

Regards, M.