Re: Motherboard ideas

Ernie Bonugli wrote:
> Here's an update on my Asus dual AMD system freeze up
> problem.
>
> I had  two 512mb memory sticks in the system.  I removed the 1st
> one and slipped the second one in its place.  This was a couple
> of days ago.  I have not had a freeze up since then. While two
> days of testing is not conclusive, I am hopeful.   It is supposively
> good memory, by Corsair, and if I remember, it is warranted.
> Just found my sales slip, I'll give it a couple of more day
> before I go back to Fry's.

Ernie,

This is one reason why I use ECC (error-correcting codes) memory in all
of my "mission critical" PCs. Unfortunately, most Intel chipsets of the
late 90s and afterwards don't support ECC memory. Only a few chipsets
which were supposedly designed for servers do support ECC memory.

It costs quite a bit more to build a PC with quality parts (ECC memory,
SCSI disks, mirroring etc), but it has saved me a lot of grief in the
long run, so I gladly pay the premium. Ofcourse the network (ISP), quote
vendor and software redundancy is very important as well.

Regards, M.