Re: Motherboard ideas

Sounds like 1 of 4 things:
1.  Bad memory stick.  People often skimp here and buy from anyone.  Most
vendors have no clue how to safely handle PC hardware.  The only vendor I
use is Crucial.  I may pay $10 more per stick, but I know I won't have any
problems and they also back their warranty.  REMEDY:  Buy software which
tests your hardware.  Email me for info.
2.  Static electricity damage.  You may not have followed precautions by
using an anti-static wrist-strap.  This is a common mistake among newbie
system builders.
3.  Cheap PSU.  The only PSU brands you should purchase are Antec and
Enermax.  A dual AMD CPU system uses a large amount of power.  I use a
hefty 430 watt Enermax PSU for my single Athlon 1400 CPU system and it runs
rock stable.  My previous AMD K6-2 350 MHz uses a 330 watt Enermax PSU.
Barring any complications, Enermax PSU's should last forever (good enough
to give as hand-me-downs or transfer to a new PC).  If you have a cheap
PSU, pushing it beyond its specs can cause difficult-to-track problems.
This happened to me in 1997.  Buy a 550 watt Enermax for any dual system.
4.  Software or hardware conflict in Windows.  Try using PartitionMagic 7
to "hide" your active partitions, create new partitions with a new Win2K or
XP install, and use some sort of benchmark to push the hardware to its
limits.  You can use a commandline SETI for each CPU.  Have Win2K assign
each SETI to each CPU.  Use another benchmark, such as WinBench or
SiSoft Sandra to test the video.

Good Luck,
Daniel.