Re: [MTList] Time problem in ASCII data file

In a message dated 8/18/02 7:22:05 AM Pacific Daylight Time,
elliottwave@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx writes:

<< Tried that - as soon as you do that it changes the value.
 Try this it will show the problem.
 Open an EXCEL spread sheet.
 Put in 15:30 in hh:mm format.
 You can then change that into 1530 by changing it with hhmm format
 procedure.

 Then the obvious thing is to change it text format.
 That gives you 0.645833. You have lost 1530 which is what you want.

 Trade Station to function correctly in ASCII needs to read the numbers
 1530 in text format.  Hence the problem, how do I get from 15:30 time
 format to 1530 text format?

 This must be a common problem to anyone handling ASCII files in Trade
 Station 2000i.  There got to be a simple way around this but the
 solution escapes me.

 Zoran

Zoran,

I'm not quite sure just how you'd LIKE to solve this problem.  But there is a
simple solution which can be done in Excel.  Let 15:30 be the contents of
cell A1.  To convert this to your desired 1530 in cell B1 the formula is
simply:

= 100*hour(a1) + minute(a1)

If this is done in another column for all elements of the  'time' column  of
your ascii file in an excel spreadsheet, you can then replace the original
time column (with the "15:30" type format) with the column where the
'transformation' calculation was done to get the data into your desired
numerical 'format'.  This seems to me to be a rather simple and obvious fix
to  your problem .  That makes me wonder whether you had also thought of this
solution but had rejected it for reasons not obvious to me.  If that's the
case I apologize for stating the obvious here.

Lee Scharpen