Re: OT: News Readers

Ivo wrote:
>What is the best (desirably free) newsgoup reader program out there?

What operating system?

For unix, slrn or trn is the best in my opinion.

For Windows?

Forte Free Agent is all right, but you may want the full version
instead.  It is good and inexpensive.  However, it starts an
external viewer for HTML-Code (any newsreader that interprets
HTML is a BUG in my opinion, not a feature; this is a curse that
Microsoft imposed on usenet).  Download a freeware version with less
features for free at http://www.forteinc.com .

You can always use Outlook but you will make a lot of enemies
whenever you post, because Outlook wants to post HTML junk by
default.  Usenet is still mostly a plaintext medium, and Outlook
posters tend to irritate others.

The Opera web browser contains a nice integrated newsreader too.  And
Opera is small, fast, and full-featured. http://www.operasoftware.com

-Alex