Re: Any Ryan Jones Money Management Fans?

I had responded to the originator of this thread privately, but I
may as well do it here.  I agree with most of what Gary Fritz says
below.

I have been experimenting with the fixed ratio position sizing
strategy using ProSizer, the Monte Carlo simulation tool I developed
just for this purpose (see http://unicorn.us.com/trading/prosizer.html
if you're curious about it).

I compared fixed fraction, fixed ratio, percent risk, and percent
volatility position sizing models.  In all cases I adjusted the
parameters so that the average of the Maximum Drawdown from all
the trials came out to 25%.  Then I looked at the return.  I did
this for trades generated by two different trading strategies.  My
assessments are as follows:

* Fixed ratio usually performs better than fixed fraction.

* One will likely find that the %risk or %volatility models described
  by Van K Tharp superior to fixed ratio, for the same drawdown.

* Fixed ratio is dangerous: higher standard deviation of drawdowns,
  higher probability of ruin.  It fails to account for equity size
  or risk per trade.

* I think it's irresponsible for Ryan Jones to promote this method
  to beginning traders, who won't understand the risk involved.  On
  the other hand, I have noticed that sometimes fixed ratio is the
  best-performing model for small accounts.

I'm not surprised that Ryan Jones has traded himself into a 95%
drawdown.  I think that's partly due to the high risk of fixed
ratio, and partly due to the fact that you take every trade
regardless of risk, volatility, or account size.

I disagree with Gary that one should take the basic fixed fractional
approach.  My own experiments suggest that there are other models you
can use, and combinations of models, that give superior results.

-Alex