Miner, DiNapolietc / Mechanical Vs Discretionary

I would be interested to know what opinion the listers have of these two
guys & their
techniques. I know lot of what they talk about is discretionary & possibly
can't be backtested
in real sense. This list has one of the most informed group of traders I
have come across &
would appreciate any insight into the methodology.

I guess I am at crossroads where I am trying to decide what works in the
markets & what doesn't
( aren't we all ).  Is it mechanical or discretionary? I know this is the
eternal question we all ask, but
as a newbie I would appreciate any input.

Regards

HT