From: "ztrader" <ztrader@xxxxxxxxx>
To: <omega-list@xxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Saturday, July 13, 2002 11:46 PM
Subject: TS2k reliability - an idea

On Saturday, July 13, 2002, 6:43:41 PM, Gary Fritz wrote:

GF> But I can't even get TS2k working reliably for offline research
GF> purposes, let alone realtime trading.

I can't either.

GF> Many times  each day TS2k crashes, or the system reports lock up,
GF> or one of  dozens of other bugs and poor-design problems force me
GF> to exit and  restart, or at least grind my teeth in frustration.
GF> I can't imagine  trusting my trading to this mess, and I'm not
GF> even trying to collect  data in realtime.

My situation EXACTLY!

GF> I know it's possible to run TS2k reliably -- I know people who do
GF> it - - but *I* can't.  I installed TS2k on a brand-new Windows
GF> 2000 system  with 512MB of RAM and 40GB of disk space.  There is
GF> plenty of CPU,  RAM, and disk available, and the OS was pristine
GF> when I started  running TS2k.

I did the same.

GF> You may be luckier than I was, but....

An idea. I just moved TS4 from an old but reliable machine to a new
Win2000 computer. Guess what - it doesn't work well at all, by
comparison. That's what I get for not following one of my rules: if it
ain't broke, don't fix it.

I finally tracked down some of the problems to the video card, an ATI
Rage Pro. It works only fair with TS4 even with all the accelerations
turned off. Odd problems too, like TS4 minimize buttons disappearing.
I ran a few other programs to see if it was a general problem, and
everything else I tried ran OK, even with video accelerations on. I am
beginning to think that TS4 does not handle video well/properly and
this may be a source of trouble.

The same thing may be true of TS2k as well. Has anyone done any
experiments to see of this might be part of the problem?

Finally, bottom line - what video cards are being used in the systems
that ARE reliable? I'd be willing to try another one if several people
find it reliable.

Anyone have thoughts on this?

ztrader