RE: Historical financial news items

I once did "a lot" of work in this area, and came to a conclusion that it
isn't news items that relate to an economic calendar that causes volatility,
it's the consensus of opinion being incorrect. Similar patterns of
volatility changes occur each day as eps forecasts and eps actuals are out
of sync. Simply, a "surprise" is what causes buying or selling to heighten
and thus volatility rises.