Re: UPS Question

I looked at the Powerware 5125 manual at
http://www.powerware.com/pdf/5125towr.pdf
and on the PDF page 47, it gives the "Audible Noise" specs:  about 40 dBA normal
mode and about 55 dBA in Battery mode.  I don't know why battery mode is louder
than normal mode.  40 dBA is louder than my 38 dBA 5200 RPM fan.  40 dBA is
fairly loud.  55 dBA is very loud, louder than the fastest Delta 60x25 mm CPU
fans.  In fact, it is 8.5 dBA greater, which is a substantial amount.  What this
means is, if the power actually goes out, you can expect your UPS to scream at
you at 55 dBA and distract you from your work.  LOL

My suggestion is to buy several 1000 and 500 VA UPS's.  I have a 500 and 1K.
The 500 VA is connected to my monitor, printer, speakers, and USB hub.  My 1K VA
is connected only to my PC box.  They were very inexpensive and they work
correctly.  The 500 VA and 1K VA cost $50 and $100 USD respectively.  They do
not have any internal fans and the alarms, which I cannot shut off, are about 30
dBA and not distracting.  There are models available which allow you to shut off
the alarm.

Daniel.