Re: WorkSpace Assistant

Robert Dunbar wrote:
>Guys... I'm still not clear on what "Maximise Calculation Speed" does....
>If we take a simple example of two moving averages crossing over... a 9 day
>and a 15 day for example.... if I have 5 years of historical in a given
>symbol and run the workspace assistant with "Maximise Calculation Speed" NOT
>SELECTED I get 5 years work of trading signals generated off this simple
>strategy.
>Now if I SELECT "Maximise Calculation Speed" (with MaxBarsBack set at 15) as
>far as I can see I get exactly the same set of signals generated... i.e. the
>whole 5 years worth.... rather than what I would expect which would be just
>a signal for the last 15 bars worth of data....
>Can you clarify exactly how it works....?

>From the TS2000i help file:

"Note the Maximize Calculation Speed check box should not be
selected if you are using any recursive analysis techniques
(techniques that refer to values of themselves on the previous bar
like the ADX, exponential averages, etc), techniques that have
running totals (like the Accumulation Distribution indicator), or
techniques that have a set-up phase that requires more bars back
than what is specified in MaxBarsBack.  This is because results
could differ depending on when calculations are started, which could
cause discrepancies between the Workspace Assistant report and
regular chart results."

>From the quoted paragraph it seems that the difference is not
noticeable from chart result to chart result if you turn the
checkbox on or off.  The only difference is between a chart result
and a Workspace Assistant report.  For example, Workspace Assistant
might give a signal when the chart doesn't, or vice versa.

--
 //  \
 // __)    Unicorn Research Corporation -- http://unicorn.us.com