Advanced Math Programs

Hi Kevin,

it depends on what you want to accomplish. Here are the contenders, in order
of increasing power:

1. MathCAD - a comparatively simple program, much like a glorified TI
calculator with graphics capabilities, plus editing.

2. Matlab - more sophisticated, extensive linear algebra functions plus a
simple programming language built-in. Main drawback: no symbolic
calculations.

3. Maple - a high-powered package. Can do most of the things Mathematica can
do. Drawbacks: only a somewhat obsolete, for the most part procedural,
programming language is available; typesetting capabilities are quite
limited.

4. Mathematica - the leader of the pack. Extremely powerful math, to any
desired precision. Great visualization and typesetting built-in. The
programming language of Mathematica has unparalleled expressive power; once
mastered, it saves untold hours of coding as compared to other languages.
Drawback: somewhat expensive.

Best regards,

Michael Suesserott