Re: Off Topic: Results of Building New computer Part 1

Greetings Mike,
Thanks for the update and was an enjoyable read :)

Friday, June 07, 2002, 10:07:38 AM, you wrote:

MJ> First Mistake!  The abit board only had USB ports for
MJ> the printer, keyboard and mouse.

I would always recommend going to a manufacturer's website to see the
entire specs of the prior to purchasing any hardware.

MJ> It took
MJ> me 5 hours to put everything together because I've
MJ> never done this before and I had to triple check every
MJ> little thing.  After I put it together, The computer
MJ> would not power up!  After another 8 hours and many
MJ> emails to Soltek, I discovered the Soltek board was
MJ> dead on arrival.

Ahh.. welcome to the wonderful word of system builders!  As the number
of systems you build increases, this time will drop significantly
because experience will allow you to go through the documentation and
instructions with ease.

MJ> One thing.  The Globalwin fan is very noisy!  If you
MJ> order the oem version of the AMD processor then you
MJ> need to order a cpu fan.

Indeed.  OEM generally refers to the bare component and sometimes
additional CD with drivers if needed. If you need quiet solutions,
just let me know and I can scrounge up a website or two that sells
quiet fans, casing, power supply, etc..

MJ> If you order the "Box" AMD
MJ> processor then it comes with an AMD cpu fan.  The AMD
MJ> fan is much quieter than the Globalwin cpu fan.

Here "Box" actually refers to retail and as you indicated, retail does
include all the goodies that most consumers think should come with the
hardware.  That and all the pretty wrapping :)

MJ> Part 2 next..I my other computer breaks down and I
MJ> order a cheap bare bones AMD 1900+.  Stay tuned for
MJ> the comparison.

MJ> Mike

Looking forward to it!

--