Re: Re[2]: MB's AAMA vs OddBall, any comments?

another follow up on the filter testing.
per MB, the aama is disigned to take care of the choppy
price series.  not sure what Mark means by chop but
i assume chop is not just noise but simply sideways
chop? infering from here, sideways chop is simply:
signal = false, noise = true. and the task is to filter out
chop by making line smooth when price moves sideways ( no signal ).

if chop is not only sideways chop but noise overlayed on
vertical as well as horizontal price moves, than chop ain't chop,
it simply is noise.

anyhow, chop ( noise ) will have the following quantities that
will affect the output curve:
- chop shape
- chop size ( magnitude )
- chop duration ( frq )
- chop to signal ratio based on shape, size, duration...

plus on  top of that signal quantities will also affect the chop  filtering
process.

typically when studying filter you want to know these:
- frq. response curve
- step response
- impluse response

since aama is double adaptive filter then it should be able to adapt to
changing chop characteristics relative to changing signal characteristics
without the change in user inputs.
a good visual test would then be ( aside from basic step, impluse and common
periodic wave tests ):
- construct a mixed shape-ampl-duraiton chop wave
- overlay it on mixed shape-ampl-duration signal wave

lag studies would be easier to conduct under controlled conditions.
if you know when the chop starts/ends  you can see the lag pretty well, etc...

mathwise i would infer that to be able to design a filter like that you need to
measure chop characteristics and feed them as filter controls, also
some sort of memory decay must be used as chop for last 30 bars ain't
same a chop for last 1000 bars... ie adaptation. so the filter should be able
to look back and differenciate between chop and signal, take recent chop
and adapt filter to that only, typical adaptive filtering.
bilo.