Re: Bad ticks caused by Wrong Orders

Dear Group,

I may be wrong, and if right, this may be arcania, but I believe there has been
and may be use for a buy-limit order above, at least slightly above, the market
with pit (not electronic) trading.  Pit orders are executed by humans, and as it
was explained to me by an old retail S&P pit-trader, they are only human and
like to be "better than average" and "go the extra mile."  Filling a buy-limit
order a tick or two below the limit price allows them to show themselves, their
firm, and the customer that they possess those qualities.  Through their phone
clerks, they get to tell their customer "Filled at [a tick or two] below your
limit" --- what a deal --- everybody's happy.  That challenge and opportunity
does not present itself in the filling of a market order, there being little way
to provide objective evidence as to the floor trader's skill in filling such an
order.

Another practical reason for using a buy limit order slightly above the market
in pit trading is simply to guard against the possiblity that in the duration
after phoning in one's order and before the order is executed in the pit,
strange things don't happen, eg, rumor begins that MSFT has been vindicated in
its lawsuits.

Limit orders have the potential to provide more opportunity at less risk than do
market orders --- perhaps not always, but on occasion.

Sincerely,

Richard