Re: problems with ANCO Discount Futures

  • To: "Schedlbauer, Joseph E." <JoeS@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: Re: problems with ANCO Discount Futures
  • From: "ViperTrading" <viper@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 31 May 2002 09:29:49 -0700

My pleasure!  The underlying fees/cearing costs from the CME to a
non-clearing FCM (which most are for retail clients) come out to about $3.32
including NFA fees for emini contracts ona RT basis.  From there - the FCM
typically marks up the cost $2.50 - $5 per RT on that to the IB.  From
there - the IB marks it up to cover overhead and create profit for their
business.  That does not include software fees which were in my case an
additonal $1 per RT.

3 years ago - an IB getting a $8 flat rate per RT w/o software charges was
considered on of the best rates out there - had to do 20,000 monthly RTs for
an IB to get the cost basis.  Nowadays, it's more like $6.00 cost before
software charges.  We were able to get rid of our software charges by
renegotiating a new rate with our new FCM (Vision).

Expect on average that there is at least $2 per RT markup over cost to IB at
bare minimum when charging $ customers $8.50 - $10 per RT "all-in" on emini
transactions.  IB cost spread is further reduced to the IB if they are an
"independent IB" as opposed to a "guaranteed IB".  As a guaranteed IB, the
FCM with typicaly deeper pockets protects the integrity of your account
equity as opposed to the independent IB only able to stand on their own
assets to support your account equity.

So if a IB quotes very low rates - find out whether they are an independent
IB or guaranteed - if they are independent - make sure you ask for a copy of
their financia statement.  Many times after reveiwing their financia
statement you will find that you are much safer with going via a guaranteed
IB because they are backed by audited deep pockets of the FCM.  We chose
this route ourselves - not because we didn't have capital but because we
found it much safer all-around for ourselves from a financial and compliance
standpoint but more importantly for our clients.

Best wishes,

Mike Herron
Viper Trading, LLC.
www.vipertrading.com