Re: off topic: running web server of cable / dsl

It is quite possible.  It is also somewhat dangerous and could be quite time
consuming.

You MUST keep up to date with the continuous stream of patches coming out of
Microsoft.  There is a tool on their website that automatically checks for
security updates.  Even this will not guarantee your safety.  Microsoft only
releases patches AFTER an exploit is discovered and the discovery usually
only takes place AFTER a massive number of servers have been hit.

At a minimum, you should subnet your internal network and put the server on
it's own subnet.  You will have to find a firewall that is capable of doing
this.  Ideally, you should get a second DSL/cable line and put the server on
that alone.  Still cheap and a lot more secure.

A development server I was running at my home got hit and I found from the
logs that they used it in a Ping attack on the White House website.

Kent