Re: Firewall Router

>    Alex, care to rercommend one ?

Most of the home units are about the same.  Consensus I've seen on
the newsgroups seems to like Netopia products.

My criteria were simple:

Multiple ethernet ports (at least 4) for multiple computers
VPN support (you need this if you want to access your network from
outside)

If I were to buy another one, I'd expand VPN support to include an
unlimited number of port assignments.  My current Maxgate Ugate 3200
only lets me assign 10 IP ports.

I would recommend AGAINST a wireless-access-point (WiFi) firewall
router/hub.  For one thing, they are much more expensive than
hardwire routers.  For another thing, if you're concerned about
security, WiFi is not for you.  And when I tried one in my home, I
found its reliability sucked, even when the computers were in the
same room with the wireless hub.  If you must go wireless, buy just
an access point an hook it up to one of the ethernet ports in your
hardwire hub.

--
 //  \
 // __)    Unicorn Research Corporation -- http://unicorn.us.com