Re: NASDAQ 100

The calculation method is in the site as well.

The idea in abstract is pretty simple -

1. calculate the market capitalization of all the NASDAQ symbols
2. rank them and pick out the top 100
3. calculate index based on the summation of the
   price of a symbol and the % ratio of market capitalization of the top 100 pool.

Due to the cost of maintaining a dynamic list of top 100, step 2 is
only done every month end and top 100 are chosen and then stay there
until next round of ranking. The bottom of the top 100 got rotated
out pretty frequently :)

Remember that the top 10 stocks account for more than 70% of the weight
(off my not so good memory) :)

Lawrence

--- Tom Nielsen <tnielsen@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Hello list,
>
> does anyone have - or can point me to - an example of how the NASDAQ 100 is
> calculated? I can find the weights on NASDAQ's site, but so far I have been
> unable to dig up an explanation of the mechanics of the thing. Any help
> would be greatly appreciated.
>
> Tom

=====
Lawrence Chan   http://www.tickquest.com
Transform market data into opportunities