Alternatives to Today's Lack of Connectivity

Dear DB,

I infer that what happened today resulted from the following:

1.  DS for eSignal contains a verification routine such that everytime
it is started, it connects with a 3rd party server, which confirms that
the user is current in payment, and then returns a "Yes" or "No" to that
user's DS program.

2.  If "Yes" then the DS program begins; if "No" then it gives the error
message we received today.

3.  Today, we all were unable to begin our DS programs, not because we
received a "No" from the 3rd party server, but because the 3rd party
server was out of operation.

Others have suggested the implementation of a duplicate (redundant) 3rd
party server as well as having a few days of grace after any failure to
receive a "Yes" from the 3rd party server.  Good ideas, indeed.

I'd like to suggest an additional alternative --- namely, having the
verification requirement work less frequently --- instead of daily then
weekly or preferably monthly.  For example, have the verification
program be such that verification was required any day during the first
five trading days of every calendar month, and once such verification
was made, have it be good for the remainder of that month.  That would
considerably lessen the probability of an occurrence such as happened
this morning, and it would also give you substantial time to correct any
problems that occurred in the verification program without those
problems necessitating a cessation of service as happened today.  Would
that give you sufficient reassurrance that your program was not being
used absent payment?

I regret for both our sakes today's cessation.  It caught me by
surprise, as I have found the DS for eSignal program + eSignal data
combination to be remarkably reliable and trouble-free, and I am putting
no effort into returning to Quote.com.  Ah, every day is a new day,
isn't it.  Screw ups do happen, and I'm sure they will continue from
time to time.  Such is life, and particularly with computers & the
Internet.  Thank you for your otherwise sterling service --- like Ivory
soap, 99 and 44/100% pure.

Sincerely,

Richard