From: david b. stanley [mailto:davestan@xxxxxxxxxx]
Sent: Tuesday, April 30, 2002 3:00 AM
To: omega-list@xxxxxxxxxx
Subject: off topic:The right Ghost image

I'm attempting to get images of all worthwhile partitions on my hd onto
cd's so that I can reformat the drive for a larger c:\ partition with
fat32
instead of fat.

I made a boot.exe disk with no switches because the options in the Ghost

image menu seemed to have the adequate switches I needed.

I set the options to -f32 to change fat to fat32 and -span to limit the
amount
of data that would go on each cd to the default span length which Norton
manuals
say is 550mb.

The c:\ size is 2000mb and the used portion is 1937mb.

With the option settings I used, I would expect the image file to have
been
dumped to 4 disks, show the "MB copied" to be the same as 1937MB,
and the file system to have been changed to fat32.

However, the dump filled only two 800MB disks so it did not do any
spans.
I don't see any indication that the file system has changed to fat32.
The program reported that "MB copied=1937" but also says
"MB copied=1272" which confuses me because I selected
"Compression=None".

The Ghost Explorer doesn't seem to be able to read much off the cd so
this
hasn't been a help.

Questions:
Will the -fat32 switch only work when I reload the cd back onto the hd?

Is all the data there but in some kind of weird compressed form such
that
when I transfer everything back to the hd I will have a hd that's ready
run?  The pdf's say that all data is copied but no leftover space is
copied
when creating and image file but 1272MB certainly is less than my used
space.

Seems to me that the -span option should have worked when dumping to
cd because in the documentation it is recommended for imaging to a cd.

Should I have added all these switches to the boot disk instead of
selecting
switches in the options menu?

I'm confused,  thanks...dbs