Re: Security Alert -- KLEZ virus

> Why is it that Pegasus is better at warding off viri than OE?  Is
> it because hackers know OE is everywhere or do the other(s) have
> special features that protect from viri?

LookOut Express is the worst piece of virusware on the internet.  It
is seething with bugs and security holes.  It is also one of the
biggest targets around, since so many people use it, so it's an
attractive target for the virus writers.

Pegasus doesn't have all of OE's cutesy features.  You won't find too
much mail from Pegasus users with background GIFs and watermarks and
other bandwidth-wasters like that.

Pegasus also doesn't have any special security features.  It's just
not as buggy nor as popular as OE.

I've run Pegasus for years.  Until very recently I **NEVER** ran any
anti-virus software and I **NEVER** got infected.  I received oodles
of virus mail, but since Pegasus didn't auto-execute it like OE will,
and since most of the targeted-at-OE attacks wouldn't work on Pegasus
anyway, it was never a problem.

I made one small change to my Pegasus setup so that if I accidentally
double-clicked on any kind of executable attachment, it would open it
in a text editor instead of executing it.  That way I can't launch a
virus from my mailer even if I try.  And now that I'm running an AV
package (which unfortunately won't integrate with Pegasus), it will
catch and quarantine any virus files I save to disk before I can
execute them.

Outlook Express is the enabler for nearly all viruses on the net.
Don't use it and you'll eliminate 99% of your virus problems in one
step.

Gary