Re: neoticker compared to TS

A long list of answers follow,

--- Gary Fritz <fritz@xxxxxxxx> wrote:
> I thought this would be of interest to others on the list.  If it's
> too NeoTicker-oriented, I'll take it off list.
>
> > NeoTicker took a path drastically different from how TS works ...
> > as oppose to many attempts that tries to become TS clone.
>
> Lawrence, I think a significant number of the people on this list are
> interested in system development & trading, and I suspect many of
> them would be interested in finding a good replacement for
> TradeStation.

yep - we understand that.

> It appears to me that you are doing Good Things with NeoTicker, but I
> have to confess I don't understand what they are.  :-)  I've seen
> your brief descriptions here, and I've wandered through your website
> a number of times, and I'm still confused.

The confusion comes from total difference in design concept,
including system design principles.

> Could you explain your model a bit more?  What type of trading
> (systematic, discretionary, scanner-based, etc) does NT support best?

NT works will all type of trading styles and integrates
that very well among the trading styles.

I for one use discretionary trading on some instruments
but systematic trading on others, thus a balance is needed
to allow both techniques to exist and do well in NeoTicker :)

> > Most obvious difference is that NeoTicker does not have an
> > explicit option to do system optimization.
> > So you will not find many on this list using NeoTicker :)
>
> Your website says you support system trading.  Are you saying you can
> write, test, and execute systems, but you just can't iterate through
> ranges of input parameters?

You've got it right.

> Presumably someone (you if no one else) uses NeoTicker for system
> development.  Can you explain how one uses it?  What type of
> development methodology do you use to build systems without any kind
> of parameter searches?  (Or do you just do it "by hand" in your
> system code?)  What kind of development process does NeoTicker
> support?  In the system-trading world, what does NeoTicker do that TS
> doesn't?  What does TS support that NT doesn't?

True portfolio testing.

What is true portfolio testing?
You can place orders for multiple symbols with resting orders (limit, stop, etc.)
and let them play out by themselves, just like real life scenerio.

Orders are placed ones, say, for a stop, and then when it is filled,
you manage it. Just like real life trading.

This is highly different from classic system testing that place
"unreal" orders into a trading system and they magically disappear
on next bar and you have to place a new order again.

Why making it so real-life?
Because that will allow the extension of the order placement part
to eventually connect to automatic order placement.

Plus, NeoTicker's system testing forbids users from cheating into
the future because it is designed to reference the data from
the current bar point of view, similar to TS in this aspect.

> I freely admit to being stuck in a TS-centric thought pattern, since
> that's where I've done nearly all my system development.  Please
> educate me on what NeoTicker does and how/why it's better.

multiple trading system on same chart - you can track all systems on
the same set of data in one chart. Great for meta-trading system
development. Meta trading systems are those system that trade on
a vote count of other systems.

Trading systems are not married to a chart, you can track it as if
it is an indicator.

You can even apply it in a quote window column.

> > NeoTicker's focus is true automation of the analysis in real-time.
> > Thus its power is in the integration of the windows
> > (e.g. send the symbols in a quote page into a scanner,
> > send a symbol from a chart to another one, etc.) and its ability
> > to summarize information on screen (quote window formulas).
>
> I don't see the power of sending a symbol from a quote page to a
> scanner.  This sounds like a scanner that scans a list of symbols,
> which is hardly revolutionary.  Am I missing something?

scanners can scan another scanners' results - so you can effectively
cross time frame to filter any type of data from a massive real-time collection.
scanners can trigger other scanners - you can chain the scanners any way you
want.

So you have a trading system that monitors today's morning most active that
are above their 20 SMA in 60 min time frame and 30 min time frame - set it up
and NeoTicker will track it for you.

> Gary

I have only talked about the parts related to trading system and scanner.
It could take days to just outline what NeoTicker can do now.

Some interesting things that TS never has (off my head at this moment),
- real-time formula driven tick filtering for real heavy real-time system tracking
- true dynamic formula column in quote window, with auto ranking
- compression of data/indicator series within indicator for higher time frame access
- custom control of ordering of indicators and data displays in chart

So you see, there is no need of cloning TS - NeoTicker is already better by all means :)

=====
Lawrence Chan   http://www.tickquest.com
Transform market data into opportunities