Re: Under financed trader seeking solutions to trigger pulling issue

Dear John,

The pulling the trigger problem is one that I have fought and continue to
fight.  It might be due to being under-financed, as you suggest, but I
rather doubt it, at least for myself, as I have had numbers of  >100K
accounts, able (at least several years ago before the margins went to the
moon) to trade 50 full-size S&Ps, and yet it still gets to me.  I have no
problem getting out (and doing so at the right spots), once I'm in --- it's
the getting in that remains by bug-a-boo.

I'd like to suggest a remedy that was suggested to me by an old S&P floor
trader I met up with years ago.  What I'm about to say relates to maybe 10
years ago, but I think the suggestion remains valid.  Years ago, the
currency markets were different, as in tradeable; my impression is that they
are a lot less so now, but I haven't followed them for a long time.  What he
suggested was picking some relatively non-volatile market, he suggested the
Canadian $, and having as one's goal getting in and out several times a day
--- not for the purpose of making any $ but simply to go through the steps
of entering, being in, and exiting, and maybe in the process trying to pick
up a couple of points, simply enough to pay for commissions.  He suggested
doing this for a month, racking up 50-100 trades, trying to break even, but
having that be secondary to actually going through the process.

Now, I doubt that that would work with the currency markets currently, but
you might be able to find some markets with similar attributes now.  For
want of a better market, I would tentatively suggest NQ.  Yes, it can get
volatile on occasion, but there are a lot of times where the NQ market just
wallows around in a trading range of around 5 or so points, as it did for
much of the middle of today, and with an NQ point being worth $20, and with
E-mini commissions now being in the $5-15 range, I would hope that it would
be possible to trade the NQ market, at least when it isn't galloping around,
and keep one's risk down to say $50-100/trade.

Perhaps others on this list could suggest a more amenable market or some
other regimen that would address the pull-the-trigger-itis.

Sincerely,

Richard