Why TS2k crashes -- maybe

Some observations that may help to understand why TS2k crashes for
some of us. First, I would propose that TS should always have a
dedicated machine not shared with anything else. That is a baseline
for comparison.

I have found TS2k to be very intolerant of "pending" operations, that
is, if you give it something to do, and then something else *before*
it has completed the first operation, the *probability* of crashes
increases significantly. I have not been able to produce a
crash-it-every-time series of actions, but it is quite clear that this
makes it much more prone to problems.

TS2k has many more problems when dealing with large amounts of
processing, perhaps because of the above. If you are calculating a
number of 100,000 bar charts, each with many computation-intensive
studies, the *probability* of crashes goes up a lot, at least in my
experience. A possible guideline to this "large amount" might be, say,
a workspace that takes about 10 minutes to open. This might be one
guide to "a lot of processing". It would be useful to hear from others
who are also processing a lot of information.

A number of TS2k "features" are unreliable. For example, customizing a
toolbar seems to work for a while, starts to get unstable, and then
fails. I have noticed that the probability of crashes goes up when
some of these "features" are either unstable or have failed.

Some kinds of operations are more prone to crashes. For example, I
quite often have crashes at shut-down, even waiting patiently for TS
to finish what it is doing. It will get about 2/3 of the way through
closing, say, 15 or so *large* workspaces, and then good old Dr.
Watson comes up to tell me about the crash. :-) Although crashes at
shut-down don't affect use *then*, they do seem to screw up settings
and/or stored information, which in turn increases the probability of
crashes later.

I believe most of the differences in reliability may be caused by how
different people use TS2k. Overall, it seems OK for simple use, but is
clearly *not* an "industrial-strength" system.

Perhaps if people reported what kinds of things *do* seem to cause
crashes, we might be able to get a better overall picture of what to
avoid.

ztrader