Re: S&P Slippage

> Is the E-mini market so liquid that it can absorb a 50-, 100-,
> multi-hundred-contract market order without blinking an eye?

Yes.  In most normal conditions, there are at least 100-200 orders
waiting within a tick or two.  Usually more.  Our fills agree with
that.

If you're trading 1-2 at a time, your order will never affect the
market.  I think our multi-hundred-lot orders barely budge it.

> How might this vary over time and days and other conditions?

Honestly I can't answer that very well.  I don't watch it closely.  I
spend most of my time doing research (and reading email :-) and
waiting for my systems to signal, not watching the market depth
indicator.  You'll see more volume during busy markets like the first
30-60 minutes, less during lunch hour.

> Is there anything in particular that you look
> for in the market that leads you to believe that it would then be
> particularly suitable for entering a large-size order?

The order platform we use shows market depth within 5 ticks, which is
all the CME transmits.  It's not unusual to see over 1000 orders
within 5 ticks.  I know I've seen over 300 on a single tick quite a
few times.

That's all for the ES, by the way.  The NQ is also very liquid but
less so than the ES.

Gary