From: M. Simms [mailto:prosys@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx]
Sent: Sunday, March 10, 2002 11:16 AM
To: Simon Campbell; omega-list@xxxxxxxxxx
Subject: RE: File system - NTFS or FAT?

WELCOME TO THE "GREAT DEBATE"......
I say FAT32.
Why ? NTFS never proven (key word) to have higher performance than FAT32 for
applications using large datasets.
Yes it provides additional features, compression, security, etc, etc. and
yes it is more reliable.
But faster ?
Not for accessing and writing large files.
For <many> small files, yes....there is evidence that NTFS is faster (see
below...it's the only reference I could find with any semblance of a
performance comparison)
http://www.etestinglabs.com/main/reports/sghost.pdf
It shows that Ghost image creation and restoration slightly faster for NTFS
volumes vs. FAT32.
Remember: many small files involved in this operation.....

Below makes a nice case for NTFS.....but again, NO PERFORMANCE COMPARISONS.
http://people.msoe.edu/~barnicks/courses/cs384/papers19992000/capriotj-CS384
%20-%20Term%20Paper.pdf
http://faq.arstechnica.com/link.php?i=1227

If NTFS is so great performance-wise, why doesn't the MS Knowledgebase have
<any> references to NTFS vs FAT32 Performance ?