"saga" with new Hard Drive

Hello LIST -
You were probably following my "saga" with new Hard Drive and Win2000.
Well here is some details that may be in interest to you.  If sometime
someone will get in the same story, you will know what to do.  As my
supporters, the guys that were active to help me, said: it is rare,
but may happen.
My Hard Drive was Seagate 60Gb, IDE-ATA, 60/100/133, 7200, model
ST360021A.

Friend of mine top notch programmer and computer expert told me
yesterday night do the following:
1.  Check cables, switch them, just "top" ends,
2.  Overwrite Master Boot Record (fdisk /mbr)
3.  Go to Seagate site and load original diagnostics and run it.
He said that one of those checks shall reflect on the problem.

--

1.  I switched cables, there was not much positive effect.

2.  I have dos (Win98) diskette that some friend of mine email me.
When I overwrite master boot record on hard drive with fdisk /mbr it
can boot itself with dos (Win98) files.  After that my HD can boot(!)
itself with "booting" files. Win2000 still refusing to setup on that
HD.
So, that was first problem.

3.  I run original diagnostics and it show(!) that somewhere there is
a data loss, which Win2000 detected as <<disk drive damaged and
cannot be repaired>>.
Win2000 somehow detected problem that no other tool, except Seagate
original diagnostics, can detect.
That was the second problem.

Win2000 is good stuff (my conclusion).
I am exchanging HD on new one.