RE: Did I miss something?

I use Partition Magic all the time to copy and move partitions (FAT, FAT32,
NTFS) without any of the problems your are seeing.  I copy boot partitions
from drive to drive and resize, moving between IDE and SCSI, etc, etc.  No
such problems.  Sounds more like a hardware conflict than a SW problem to
me.  Even though you have it jumpered correctly, I would double check that,
perhaps moving it to the primary on the secondary IDE channel.  Good luck.